Consultants get a bad wrap — I should know, I used to be one. As with any profession, there are those that operate in such a manner, they ruin it for the rest. Over the years, many of us even tried to “re-brand” our job title to distance ourselves from the negative connotation the word ‘consultant’ evokes.
That being said — here are 10 signs that you are a consultant:
- Your daily rate charged to the client is akin to the that of a surgeon — but your work is just as important… right?
- You gleefully spend a minimum of 15 mins responding to a question, without actually answering said question.
- E.S.N.A.A — every sentence needs an acronym.
- You have spent an extensive amount of man hours (billed to the client of course) to model out how best to maximize your per diem.
- Even though you went straight into consulting after college, you have no issue offering your ‘counsel’ to the C-Suite on how they should be running their company.
- You love PowerPoint more than your 1st born child.
- If it’s not in PowerPoint, was it even a meeting…?
- It doesn’t matter if the recommendation even makes sense for your client, your PowerPoint deck is a thing of beauty and needs to be admired by all who are lucky enough to lay eyes on it.
- You don’t need to waste your precious time meeting with folks who have intimate knowledge of the company/industry, just repurpose the recommendations deck from a previous client (because your PowerPoint design was glorious).
- It doesn’t matter if it the hotel is 2 hours from client site, or the flight has 14 connections — LOYALTY PROGRAM STATUS IS LIFE!